Sunday, November 18, 2007

I don't mean to complain....but....

In case you don't know I like to cook...a lot. I'm the experimenter. I like to take things that no one's thought of and put them together and see what happens. I rarely measure out things I just throw it in there and hope for the best. I rarely get complaints....but when I do they are doosies!

Like today. I made my top secret IHOP harvest grain pancakes. They are wonderful and the kids scarf them up in 5 seconds flat. I do measure out the ingredients but I have substituted apple sauce for the oil it calls for. That way it has a little touch of Wendy in it. Anyway, I made the pancakes and I noticed they were burning and sticking to the pan in a weird way.

Now I need to preface this with the fact that Bill and I have been working on getting the kids to complain less. One child in particular is a CHRONIC complainer. I don't know WHO he gets that from! Anyway I'm noticing that the pancakes are being eaten very slowly and Dylan is trying to drown his in syrup but it's not making them disappear faster. He looks at me with these puppy-dog brown eyes and says, "Mom, I don't mean to complain but these pancakes taste like sunscreen!" SUNSCREEN!!!!!!!!! I was irritated....until I took a bite. You know they really did taste like sunscreen. Wow! How did I mess that one up? Looking back on it I realized that I put 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of baking powder in them when it only called for a teaspoon of each. I couldn't even choke them down. Honey didn't take the horrible taste away for me.

We all had a good laugh about it later. Bill was munching on something and when Dylan commented on it he said, "Normally I munch on the leftover pancakes but since Mom made sunscreen pancakes I think I'll pass this time!"

Oh well, at least it's not banana meatloaf! (Yes, I made that one too...but that's another story!)

2 comments:

Dana & Ryan said...

I actually think it might have been the applesauce. :)

Wendy said...

you're wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!